Tuesday, April 14, 2015

You don't have to see it to believe it!

 
 
4-14-15 Frog Family Room
Tiny frogs with huge voices live just beyond my backyard in the marshy, gooshy overflowing pond place out there.  I think it's so crazy that these tiny frogs are known as the Spring Peepers. Exactly who was it in charge of naming them anyway?  I mean, these are really, extremely loud creatures.  These tiny frogs do not peep - they
 
SING!
LOUDLY! 
 
The frog experts claim this tiny little thing when singing chorus style with his friends and family can be heard a mile or more away - now that's just not peeping.

I was just now outside in the marsh hoping to see at least one of these mighty, yet tiny, frogs who make crazy loud frog songs  - but I didn't catch a glimpse - not a one!  And I was out there for quite a while - searching around in the goosh.  But I heard them all right!   I'm thinking anyone could - from really far away!  But see one?  Just one?  Just a hint of a glimpse, a ripple, a tiny splash?  Nothing!  No sighting of the tiny little creature weighing about a tenth of an ounce with the scientific name of "crucifer" - so named for the cross-like marking on its tiny back.

The little frog's BIG song, though, I was able to capture in a video and post on my facebook page.  (I'm still trying to figure out how to post that video here...)  At any rate, while I was standing very still out there, and then crouching and crunching a little bit through the dried reeds, with my camera in hand attempting to SEE at least one of these creatures, I realized  I don't have to see the one with the cross on his back to know he's out there.  It's just really obvious!

So okay, just a quick entry today, lots of stuff to do before my boys get home from school.   Take care everybody and, if you get a minute, stop and listen for those unmistakable songs of spring.  They're so loud and full of new life - they're just the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment